Friday, August 4, 2017

'Dunkirk' review 2

My 2nd review of Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk'




I guess my expectations were a little high because of Nolan's track record. I like movies and directors for different reasons. Nolan, I like, because I find thinking stimulating and most of his films are both intelligent and stimulating. Every director and every film has a different aim. In this time of dumbed down films overly dependent on safe plots, CGI, sex, violence, action, etc, it's good that there are directors out there who are not afraid nor embarrassed to make smart movies. I went into Dunkirk expecting a war movie with a fresh perspective of WW2 but it just seemed like a rehash of movies I'd seen too many times before. The film was so cliche'd that I felt disconnected from the scenes where I was supposed to feel something. This wouldn't have been that bad if there had been some action to hold my attention but there wasn't other than the sporadic shot of an aerial dogfight. Watching this film was like eating a lettuce sandwich. I saw this at the Chase (in Saint Louis) and they had the nerve to have a guy playing an organ prior to showing the film. Nolan had always impressed me as a rebel but with 'Dunkirk' shows that he has lost that spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment